- Hannah So
Student-Friendly Quarantine Cooking: True Blue Noodles
To every University of Toronto student, wherever you are, I hope you’re keeping safe and sound. I’ve been getting a lot of requests from readers asking for a quick, easy, and budget-friendly recipe to keep stomachs full and spirits high in these troubling times—not everyone has access to the resources for artisan sourdough bread or butternut squash mac and cheese, after all. So, I dug into the archives and found this recipe to share with you all <3.
The backstory for this recipe is too moving not to share. It involves my childhood, overcorrecting a debilitating disdain for legumes, and letting go of societal norms. Visit my blog, i<3beans.com to read my journey.
TRUE BLUE NOODLE SOUP
- 2 packets of chicken flavoured Mr. Noodle
- 1/2 an onion, chopped thic
- 1 can o’ beans
- (Optional) hot sauce of preference to taste
1. Open can o’ beans. Drain liquid in another bowl and set aside for later.
2. Dice onion, keeping it chunky. Greg just moved out and took all his knives back with him, so we’re going to have to improvise. Luckily we have plenty of butter knives.
3. Follow the instructions on the back of the noodle packet. Bring water to a boil, then add noodles and powdered chicken. If half of the flavouring powder ends up on the floor, it is what it is.
4. Add your onions and beans, stirring and breaking apart the noodles as you go.
Look at 'em fall!
6. And finally, add your bean juice for some extra kick (and nutrients!).
There you have it! A delicious, nutritious meal for $5.
Bonus: I added some sriracha for bit of spice!
Photo Credit: Hannah So